Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Quick Outing with The River Bottom Blades Puukko

I was able to get out for little bit on Monday for a little hike and try out a new knife, and brush up on some of my fire prep. I thought about bringing my .22 rifle for a little hunting but i had only taken one squirrel from the area and I didn't expect to see much, of course i saw 3 big grays in the first 10 minutes of my little hike.... The area I went to was about 80 percent hardwoods with some pines here and there, no birch around so I didn't have that temptation to grab some bark to light my fire, I use birch quite a bit for my fires and I find it good to keep up on different methods for tinder. I didn't bring a axe with me because I find I never use one during a simple day hike so it was just my saw and a Puukko Ive been wanting to try out from River Bottom Blades.


My little area I cleaned up, I like to find a nice piece of old pine to lay on the ground to keep my knees dry and gives me a solid surface to work on.
The tools for the day my folding saw and the Puukko, Ive used a few fellow bushcrafters silky saws and i think one of those are definitely in my future. Maple my wood of choice for my split wood prep.
The first splitting action, I find splitting a piece in half and putting them together to split in to quarters really makes my prep go faster, something simple that saves some time.
                                                                      Well it splits!
                                             I cannot complain scandis make great Curls
                                      
Took a couple strikes to get the curls to go, I could have make scrapings but didn't, the spine threw great sparks
Time for lunch, I brought some Miso soup packets I was given by my friend Gary, its great lightweight trail food.
I needed a way to hang my Mors pot so I strung a ridge line high up between two trees where the heat wouldn't melt my cord, then I got to making a long pot hanger the way Jeffy Geer showed me (nothing ground breaking but quick). Started by making a X on both ends of my stick with the saw, ensure I left enough wood behind the cut to hold my pots weight.
                                     Then I carve out the cuts leaving a top V for the hook.
                                                        Then Your ready to cook
                                                                             Time to eat!

                                                       Thanks for looking! -Lain



No comments:

Post a Comment