Monday, April 20, 2015

North Gate Bushcraft Adventures Basic Course


Joe Robinet is a popular bushcrafter and outdoorsmen in the YouTube community. Recently Joe opened his own bushcraft school after learning and guest teaching under Terry Barney for some time. When I heard Joe was opening his own school North Gate Bushcraft Adventures http://www.northgatebushcraft.com/ I decided to jump at the  chance to attend his first class. I let a few of my close backpacking friends know that I was attending a bushcraft class and they decided to tag along, both of them had a growing interest in woodsman skills. 

The class was  $125 for a overnighter , I really found this to be more than affordable and although I haven't been told the price will go up I cant imagine it staying such a bargain, at $125 this course is a screaming deal even if it is a intro course.

I talked to Joe a few times on the phone before the class and he was great about answering my questions and giving me the info I needed it seemed like the class couldn't come soon enough.

The drive from northern lower Michigan was a long one the three of us made a few stops and made it to Corbeil Ontario in about 9 hrs and arrived a day early like many of my fellow students. We then rounded up our gear and awaited our ride to the site from co-instructor Fraser Clark. My first thought when I met Fraser was he was one heck of a nice guy who wasn't shy at all he immediately made us feel welcomed.
Fraser giving his best cameraman impression

The site was a short 5 minute drive from were we parked and then about a ten minute hike on Canadian Crown land. Being a Michigan man I'm used to sand and a little dirt here and there, around Corbeil it's a lot of rock with a bit of rock here and there quite a change of scenery for me but a welcomed one.

We met Joe as we walked into camp he was quick to welcome us seemed excited to get his first class under way. The first night was mainly setting up the camp and meeting the fellow students all of which I got along great with, the more I do group camps and the more bushcrafters I meet the more I realize that we all get along despite our differences, we were all there to learn and enjoy the great outdoors. 

The next morning class started and we were off to a beaver pond for some water procuring lessons.

Joe talking about how a stagnant beaver pond should be your last choice as a water source

After some time at the pond we were of to a nice little stream that was coming from the snow melt. We learned about a few different modern water purification methods and their advantages and weaknesses.

Everyone listening closely during water procurement

 Joe collected some water and took us back up trail for a little homemade water filter action.

 Joe crushing up charcoal for the filter

 some explanation
Filter Time

After finishing up the filter we tried water that was purified using different methods and although all was safe to drink you could taste the difference literally.

After going over some basic gear it was lunch time and Joe quickly put together a simple pot hook and stand. Something Ive seen in a few videos and blogs but was pretty cool to see in person, I was really surprised how sturdy it was.

After lunch we went on another hike near the beaver pond were a large pine laid, blown over from a storm long passed. This would be were I would sleep that night, earlier in the day Joe had said we were going to go over shelters and we would do a few together after Joe  showed us a few tarp shelter set ups I assumed when i volunteered to stay the night in a shelter we built it would be under a tarp... nope big ole pine tree. Now ive slept in natural shelters before but i have become accustom to the wonder that is my hammock set up I thought id be in for a rough night.
Joe under the beginning of my shelter

The class got to work putting up the shelter using no tools which you dont realized how nice a saw or axe is until you build a debris shelter. I slept like a baby that night under that big ole pine, very relaxing sleeping surrounded by pine boughs instead of nylon and bug netting. A big thanks to Joe lending me a sleeping pad that Canadian rock is not a soft feathered mattress despite boughs.

After the shelter was about done we all headed back to the main camp for some demonstrations on various tinder and fire starting techniques. I honestly didnt know mylar in a candy bar wrapper took a ferro rod so well until that day.

Joe rocking the flint and steel

Fire prep time

No one makes curls as fast as Joe

Once Joe demonstrated a split wood and twig fire we all practiced our fire building, Joe was kind enough to let me go for a bow drill, something I have yet to master he helped me making the bow and set and then instructed me on proper technique. The smoke rolled hard more than once, but it wasnt meant to be. But armed with new knowledge and confidence I promise that after this summer the bow drill will no longer elude me. A big thanks to Joe for taking time to go through this with me which is in no way a Intro course skill.

 My two friends had such a good time doing their one stick fire they must had lit curls another 15 times practicing their ferro rod something they had only done once before with me in preparation for this course. They both have a supreme confidence that if they have a knife and a ferro rod they will have fire, something I really thought was cool. Oh and Joe even gave me a elk antler bearing block for my future successful bow drill, thanks man!

Next up was knots something I never really used before but after this course I will, the Canadian Jam knot in particular I see being very useful, I use to just tie lots... now I tie knots ha.

After the knots it was axe and saw time and although the axe is a blast to use the course only confirmed my belief that if I had to choose between a axe or saw Im going with a saw all day long. I also learned that regardless if I use a silky or a bucksaw and Dane uses the other, he is still gonna out saw me!
Dane doing some chopping

Once the main events were done for the day we all gathered around the fire and enjoyed tinfoil dinners which were surprisingly great. We all talked about the day and us Americans made some jabs at the Canadians while they didnt hold back teasing us foreigners it was all in good fun and alot of fun it was. That night was as good as any that ive spent in the woods I went to sleep under my pine feeling accomplished and happy I drove all the way to little Corbeil Canada.

Final Thoughts......

Now when I signed up for this course I really didnt think I was gonna to learn alot outside the knots, I thought I was well outside a basic skill level, the main reason I took this course was to qaulify for the intermediate course, but Im not too prideful to say that I learned more than I ever would have imagined and reinforced things I wasnt as knowledgeable on as I thought I was. If anything else this trip revitalized my yearning to learn more about the outdoors and get outside my comfort zone (and hammock) and try new things and philosophies. 
 Joe is doing what I dream of, he his is taking a hobby that he loves and making a go at it, and I for one will be back for the intermediate class and someday I hope to be at the level Joe is and be able do what I love for a living, until then if Joe keeps teaching ill keep learning from him along with the many of his YouTube subscribers and those who make the great choice to attend his future classes.

All I have left to say is if your on the fence on taking a class from Northgate Bushcraft Adventures you wont regret learning from someone as humble and layed back as Joe. Im looking forward to what he thinks up for a intermediate course.
"Joe approved" ha

Wish I took more pictures I will next time for sure!

Special thanks to my fellow students for making this such a great time, To Fraser Clark for all his behind the scenes work getting everything organized and Joe Robinet for keeping the class down to Earth.
Thanks for reading guys and gals!

-Lain Veihl



  







2 comments:

  1. Dude!, I am humbled by your words, really.
    Thanks so much for coming. I really enjoyed meeting you, Dane, Jac, and allthe other students!
    Till next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up. Sounds like Joe will be very successful with his new school. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete